An updated version of Gnome-Pie is now available! It does not change a lot, like the the last release did, but some remarkable additions are available!
The most important step (You requested it, I implemented it!): Slice labels! As seen in the screen shot above, a caption for each Slice can be displayed now! The makes the Slices much easier to navigate through and more discoverable. The appearance of these labels depends on the currently used theme. With the glossy theme it looks as follows.
Whether these labels are shown, can be set in the preferences dialog. There’s a new check-box! Go ahead, and check it out:
Furthermore I used the opportunity of having Slice labels to create a new theme! This theme may be not the most accessible (I know) but at least it’s very stylish! Here’s a screen shot.
What else has been done?
- A subtle wobble-effect has been added to all themes. This effect makes inactive Slices move a little while moving the mouse. The active Slice is magnified a little bit, all others are a bit smaller. This is very easy on the eyes, looks less static and improves the overall user experience. It feels a bit more organic.
- Gnome-Pie creates now two log-files while running. The first logs all errors and warnings, hopefully it’ll make debugging easier. The second stores some usage statistics. It seems like I’ll write my Bachelor-Thesis on pie menus, so these statistics may be very useful to improve Gnome-Pie in future releases! When I’ll need some Information, I’ll send a request… More on this topic will follow in a separate post!
- Sub-pies are now opened at their parent’s location. The makes navigating through sub-pies much easier. You won’t get the problem of moving towards the screen’s edge anymore!
- Slices, which open another pie have a little arrow in front of their name, indicating that’s just a link but no final action.
- The about-window now supports unicode characters.
Some bugs were reported, so here’s a little update:
- Fixed wrong preview for minimalistic text theme
- Fixed pies opening at opposite screen side when activating a sub pie for the first time
- Fixed not-clickable trigger-select-button in preferences menu
I need your help!
And again: I’would be very happy to improve Gnome-Pie with your help!
This is really easy: There is an easy-to-follow step-by-step-guide available!
Create Themes for Gnome-Pie!
If you have some ideas on how Gnome-Pie should look: There is an comprehensive guide as well.
Code for Gnome-Pie!
If you know Vala or are willing to learn (it’s incredibly easy, like C# — you’ll love this language if you happen to know C++ or Java), you may check the issues at Github.com. Or you may introduce a total new feature you always wanted in Gnome-Pie!
You can also help improving this software by buying some drinks for a poor student! You can do this with Flattr or by donating via PayPal. If you happen to dislike PayPal, send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can chat about this!
I hope you like these changes; some translations a re still missing, but they’ll become updated in the next weeks. Drop your opinion in the comments! Please report any bugs you find as soon as possible.